Well, I just got out of class, and there is nothing more I have to do tonight, and it's only 8:00 pm. I'm behind at work, but I don't have so many meetings scheduled for tomorrow, so I can (hopefully) get caught up pretty easily. Tonight, I'll do a bit of laundry and clean the kitchen (some) before I go to bed. I have class on Wednesday nights. After I finish in a few weeks with this one, I have only 4 more left, and then I'm finished with course work. It will be another year, though. I can take only one at a time. (working on a PhD) After course work, I have comps and then the dissertation... a LONG way to go. It has been a crazy night at the Stanton house, as usual: I left work a few minutes early, took Malerie to her violin lesson, went to get Allison from dance practice, talked to Mom and my mother-in-law about Thanksgiving dinners, took Allison to guitar, and then got online for my class from 6:00-7:30. Alan made dinner tonight, which was VERY helpful. He has been sick since last Tuesday, but is feeling better now. He bought a truck in Pennsylvania last week and drove it home on Saturday. Crazy man. :) It is presently up on jack stands as he completes the brake job on it. Says it's the hardest brake job he's ever done.
Now that the project to take dad home is in motion, it's hard to be satisfied with working only on the weekends. I know the soldiers are using their own time, their time off even, but I'm impatient.
This weekend we will be there on Saturday. I hope they will work on the plumbing, but there's a chance that guy who is (was?) going to do that is going to have his house-closing scheduled for Saturday. They are going to work on pulling the deck back up to the house, and I'm ready for them to be hanging sheet rock in the bathroom. The bathroom is still bare. I think we're about ready to ask for help, but it's also deer season. And, while I'm grateful for any help (especially around painting and cleaning time) I really need people right now who have experience with plumbing and hanging sheet rock, but I don't even know if they'll be getting to that this weekend, so I don't want to ask people to come. I will try to learn more this weekend and maybe try to put together something more structured when I ask for others to pitch in.
Dad seems excited. I went to see him last night and he seemed more talkative to me. I ran into one of his CNAs from Parkview at Wal-Mart this week. She is very good to dad and he likes her (no small compliment coming from Bogey). :) She asked me when he was going home, and I explained that I had no idea. (patience, patience) She said she asked him if he was excited, and he said "Yes, and nervous." It will be different for him, for sure. I have been so grateful for the calls and words of encouragement.
I continue to be amazed at what great friends he has.
No comments:
Post a Comment